Sunday, February 26, 2012

Drugs

The door to the editing suite was ajar. I was watching a Laos friend of mine rolling a joint when a curios looking Asian man popped his head in the door and looked around. We looked back. He popped his head back out and kept going, leaving our door open.

Frighteningly aware that, thanks to the movie we were shooting there were more than a few Laos officals running around town, men who make up their meagre salaries by obtaining 'Gifts', I suggested we shut the door.
"yeah" said my friend. He kept rolling. I got up and closed the door and sat back down thinking.

"Hey, what's the penalty for drugs in Laos?"
"Death" he laughed. I raised my eyebrows. Feeling my stare he looked up. "Well, that's the worst thing"

Yeah, no shit. However, staying in a town where just about every restaurant has a "Happy Menu" I wasn't too concerned. But maybe I should have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment